Strong families spend large amounts of time in conversation. They talk about small, trivial topics as well as the profound, deep issues of life.
Good Communication follows six (6) rules*:
- Allow Enough Time
- Check It Out- Try to understand what was really being said.
- Get Inside the Other Person’s World
- Keep the Monsters in Late-Night Movies- Avoid criticizing, evaluating or acting superior
- Keep It Honest- honesty and openness
* Adapted from Fantastic Families by Dr. Nick & Nancy Stinnett and Joe & Alice Beam